Default Hello from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi, my name is Maria, I just started a cleaning company in Fort Lauderdale. I never had a real life business before and I am very excited, but at the same time scared silly. My business serves offices and commercial property but instead of good commercial contracts I keep getting offers to clean someone's house My resolve is shaking

Also a few days ago I was given a piano keyboard. How did you guys juggle business and hobby when you were just starting out? I feel so guilty when I'm learning to play :/ - feels like I have to be marketing 24/7.
    Because so far I just got one small account last week. I started all the organizational stuff on February 1st and pretty much went out there in the beginning of March. In your personal experience how long did it take you to go from nada to, say, 10 contracts? And would you say that walking from an office building to an office building giving out cards and flyers brought you more accounts than google Adwords, ad in the local paper and all things Internet?

In other words am I doing really bad or it's normal and takes more time?
    My website is www.propercleaningco.com (it's allowed to post your own website, right?)

Default Re: Hello from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hello, Maria.

Welcome to GCA. It sounds like you are doing pretty normal as far as getting clients.

When my husband and I started our cleaning business years ago, we weren't sure what to expect. It took us almost a year before we were able to take draws and at least partly live on what we were making.

Sometimes you can market like crazy and have a hard time getting customers. Other times maybe not market so much and get a lot.

There is a wealth of info here so I suggest that you do some reading in various forums so you can learn as much as possible. Also, please to ask some questions to get some discussions going.

Our business is primarily residential but we do have a few commercial accounts which are on the smaller side so I wouldn't have too much advice to offer you in that area, but I'm sure I could offer some general business advice.

Good luck.
    Sharon
    The Cleaning Alternative
    Home and Office Cleaning Services
    Est. January 2006
    www.thecleaningalternative.com

Hi Sharon, and thank you for your kind words of support ). Wow, a year! I guess I'm rushing too much then. What about now, is your business fully supporting you now?

Hello Maria and welcome to GCA..never feel guilty about learning something new, especially when it is separate from the business...it will be your source of stress relief down the road

As for how long it takes to get from point A to point B...it all depends.....I am of the belief that when you are truly ready for it, it will happen but in the mean time there are so many factors to getting you there....are you priced right? Are there many other companies in your area offering the same thing? Who are your potential clients?

And Sharon is right....read and then read some more. There is so much information on this site to help point you in the direction you need to go and if you can't find it...just ask, we will do our best to help you
    One Person CAN make a difference....but together we WILL affect change

Maria,

Hi and welcome to the Association....
    <a href=http://www.icasupplycentral.com target=_blank>http://www.icasupplycentral.com</a>
    Dave Crichton

Product Sales help finance the operation of this site...

The Association..."Your Association"... is "not" a spectator sport... PARTICIPATE!!!

Has anything you've learned while at GCA helped with your business? If the answer is "Yes"
    Please help GCA with a

ICA SUPPLY CENTRAL

EZINE

Quote Originally Posted by MarticaIda View Post
    Hi Sharon, and thank you for your kind words of support ). Wow, a year! I guess I'm rushing too much then. What about now, is your business fully supporting you now?
    Maria, You're welcome. I remember what it was like starting out.

Our business is pretty much fully supporting us now. We have had to take money out of savings a few times for big purchases but other than that it covers us.

We are now trying to make the transition to having employees do the cleaning.
    Sharon
    The Cleaning Alternative
    Home and Office Cleaning Services
    Est. January 2006
    www.thecleaningalternative.com

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Besides the abundance of info on this forum, there is also so much positive energy. I can't help but feeling that I'm on the right track when reading it. Thank you for making it such a great place.
    In the meantime I got a call on Friday from a prospect and am going to take a look and give them a quote today. From what I heard on the phone it's a 1000 sq feet office with mostly carpet, one restroom, one kitchen and a lot of blinds that need to be cleaned frequently. They want an every other week frequency of cleaning.
    And I already have one account that is a smaller office (600 sq.ft.), very clean, no restrooms, half carpet, half floor, a lot of glass partitions and doors though, with a twice a week frequency. It took me and my friend 2 hours each time last week to thoroughly clean it, while I priced it for one hour.
    So I'm thinking - 3 hrs each visit, since there will be more work on this new location with lesser frequency. But my bid calculator says 1.3 hrs. Am I just very slow and it would really take an experienced cleaner just one and a half hrs to dust all surfaces, all blinds, vacuum and wash the floors, etc? What do you think? Please? )
    I also decided to price it a little higher per hour for the same reason - less frequency, more work.
    Making the world a better place one sq. ft. at a time. http://www.propercleaningco.com